Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A New Year

Another year has passed - Saturday marks yet another Chinese New Year. I can still vividly recall last year, when as a new Secondary One, I was sitting down in the Kah Kee Hall, watching the exciting performances on stage. 2009 was indeed an eventful year of much change and development in my life. This year, I will be organizing the event as Logistics In-charge with a few of my fellow councillors.

A year has passed - looking back, I have already felt the good education and learning I have benefitted and absorbed from Hwa Chong over the past 12 months- in sports, academics, the arts, and above all, leadership training.

A year has passed - It has been a eventful year and indeed, a fruitful and productive year - I was being elected as Class Chairman, and nominated into Council. That was the start of my leadership training in Hwa Chong. It is common belief and saying in comics, movies and books - "You are the chosen one", I think it should be "You are the one who chose this path". Indeed, there are no born leaders in this world. Leadership starts from a small, but significant choice and initiative.

A year has passed - reflecting on my leadership journey so far, I have further strengthen and confirmed my belief that everything has a sacrifice to it. Last year, as councillors, we had many events and commitments we had to attend. This has no doubt, tremendously increased the load on our shoulders. But I like this famous saying - "Don't ask for a light load, but a strong back". An arduous journey lies before me, but since I have already chosen this path, I will persist on and never give up.

A new year has arrived - it seemed like it was just yesterday that I was still the gullible and muddle-headed Sec 1 finding my way to the Chinese New Year concert. But in reality, it is also yesterday that I facilitated the Chinese New Year concert rehearsal in preparation for Friday. I can sense the change of maturity in me. I am now Sec 2, and many more responsibilities, duties and commitments lie ahead of me. I hope I will not be daunted by the increase in responsibilities, but be glad that I can benefit and learn more through these commitments.

A new year has arrived - fortunately I scored a 1.17 msg for last year. But the honest fear of losing out to my peers and not being able to perform consistently still daunts me everyday. I hope I will not be afraid by the possibility of not performing well in terms of academic for Sec 2, but be motivated, optimistic and just do my best according to practical plans and actions.

I just hope in the new year: I can make more friends, strengthen relationships with existing friends, just perform to my best for tests, and be a good role model as councillor to everyone. In this new year, I just want to make the best out of what Hwa Chong has offered me.

Chinese New Year symbolizes the start of yet another year, more challenging, more daunting. Let me start a new chapter in my life, to become more resilient, more determined.


No comments: