Saturday, April 4, 2009

FOCUS. Two Syllabus. GREAT IMPACT.


I am freaking pissed off today. It is partly because my Mum is in very bad mood and my Dad lost his songbook. We were back from church and he suddenly shouted:"Oh No! I think I left my songbook in Church."

Then, we spent the next 10 minutes calling our fellow Churchmates to ask if they are still in Church to help us retrieve the songbook.

I think this really gave me an fright as his hymns are all inside and it would freaking troublesome to get back all his hymns and buy a new Songbook again.

I must admit I am also a very forgetful person. Last Tuesday, I was in a hurry to go for my badminton National's Competition and when I reached home, I found out that I have lost my pencil case.

It was actually not a very big deal at first, but then I realised that it contained my thumbdrive. Apart from its $57 price, it contained all my documents and ace projects. I had to retype one of my essays that I typed and saved in my thumbrive.

Yesterday, I almost lost my jacket, again. This time, I brought my jacket to my friend's condominium to do a project. After which, we went to the street soccer court to play soccer. I was too excited and left my jacket on the bench nearby. When we finished our game, I left hurriedly for dinner, leaving my poor jacket on the bench. Luckily, my friend saw it on the way back and returned it to me the next day.

This really all links back to the word "FOCUS". We are always distracted from what we must do from temptations of life and end wasting a lot of prercious time and effort.

I must admit, again, that I am not a person who can focus well. When I see my new computer when doing homework, there is a very strong temptation for me to play computer games. During times I succumb to this temptation, I play for a least 2 hours until my conscious defeats the temptation.

I once read a book "The Romance of the Three Kingdoms" when I was young. There was an official who gained great power during the chaos then, he is Dong Zhuo. However, he got distracted from his work a girl called Diao Chan and eventually got overthrown.

I know this is not a very good example, but what I am trying to say here is that focusing on your fixed goal is very important to achieve in chinese what we call"事半功倍", that is to efficiently finish a task using less effort then it actually requires.

On Friday, I went to my school's Tan Kah Kee Drama. I really admire Tan Kah Kee's spirit and attitude when doing something.

From young, he set a goal for himself - that is to built schools for the underprivileged to receive education, and strongly abided by his goal. Although his businesses were failing then, he still sold away his businesses and properties in order to built more schools for the people.

That really set me thinking about the meaning of life - is it just finishing homework the teachers give us, then play computer games or to set a goal for ourselves, then focus and pursue that goal?

FOCUS. Two Syllabus. One word. Great impact.

1 comment:

Eumenthol said...

Hi Jonah , nice article on 'focus'.

It's not what's happening to you now or what has happened in your past that determines who you become. Rather, it's your decisions about what to focus on, what things mean to you, and what you're going to do about them that will determine your ultimate destiny.

Keep posting...