Saturday, April 25, 2009

Its just our specialty.

Since my last post was so good (judged by myself), I will post again. This time, I will be talking about respecting ourselves. I think is totally wrong for the government to criticize Singlish like that.

I think, that when someone says a sentence with singlish in it, you all ang mohs out there listen. Instead of saying "That's lousy english!", say something like "That's great Singish", or

"I like that Singaporean streak in you!".

Singlish is our own language. When I communicated to my cousin, who is a Chinese in Singlish, she said that she liked it because it sounded very special.

Singlish is just our specialty like other countries. Malaysian chinese have that malaysian accent in their chinese as well. They should to be proud of it too!

We don't have be ashamed of singlish, or our another specialties, like kiasuism. I think we should be proud of that too.

Kiasuism has made our society more competitive and thus made us grow economically over the last decade. Like I just said it is our unique specialty, not a shame.

We should learn to be more optimistic, fellow Singaporeans. We should be truly proud of kiasuism and Singlish, our unique language.

I looking forward to the day when our future PMs can proudly speak to the US president, "I think we should build more aircraft carriers lah!"

Its just our specialty lor.

Be proud of it lah.

2 comments:

Eumenthol said...

Jonah:

It is good to see the pride and patriotism inside you to want to defend our very own Singapore specialties...like Singlish , Kiasuism etc.

Obviously there are vices to these 'traits' e.g. Singlish really is bad English and Kiasuism promotes self fulfilment etc

Nonetheless this is who we are , how we are , what we are and it must have something to do with our culture, upbringing, education to a very large extent and the social demographical environment we live in. Really nothing to be ashame of, I agree totally. Like the French need not to be ashame of their English, nor Hong Kongers of their Mandarin..

Anonymous said...

Ya, its just our specialty. Its just like how we can identify a phillipino almost immediately when he or she speks English.

Jonah