Friday, November 27, 2009

Child Raising is Difficult

Child-raising is no doubt, a difficult task to accomplish. Chinese proverbs and sayings have already, since 5000 years ago, praised parents for the love and care they show for their children. But what is really the cost of raising a child?

I heartily agree with a study by Salary.com, which calculated that house wives should be paid a high salary of $162,000 for everything they do for their children.

Everyday, my mother takes on the world with the same zest.

From 6am in the morning, my mother has to sacrifice their sleep, rub her weary eyes to start preparing breakfast for me, and when I leave for school, she has to immediately do tedious housework – mopping the floor, cleaning the windows, drying the clothes, washing the bed sheets, preparing lunch – then be my mentor, teacher, disciplinarian, and chef – perpetual succor rolled into one, before retiring for the day.

My mother had given up and threw everything she held dear – her job, her leisure, her sleep, to take care of her most precious dear. She often jokingly comment that she has already become the house maid! Whenever I call “Mum!”, she would come to my service – a glass of water, a plate of fruit, a piece of chocolate or even just some company – she has to do it.

It is especially difficult to imagine happy smiley moments the government advertise on TV or newspaper when young kids are so demanding and unreasonable, when youths are so rebellious, and when teenagers want so much freedom. It requires a great deal of patience and tolerance – EVERYDAY for a long period of time!!!

We should really appreciate whatever our parents have done for us. It is not wrong to say it is impossible to repay for life the difficult period of child-raising our parents have gone through. I do hope I can give back even more than the annual $162,000 as recommended by the website study – this is what she deserves. Until then, I can only give a heart-felt thanks.

No comments: