Monday, November 23, 2009

No maid would be better?

Many hesitate over the question - would having a maid be a better-off decision?

Many choose to hire a maid because having a maid at home would help them focus on their career. While they are out at work, their children back at home would be taken care of in safe hands.

The maid can also help them cook dinner when they come back from work, so the wife does not need to worry about setting aside time for cooking. She will help do all the housework, and all these weighs surprisingly lightly on one's pockets, considering the work she has to juggle - a mere salary of $500 to $600.

The greatest benefit is having somebody experienced to take care of the children. But many have argued that is exactly the greatest adverse effect too.

It is common knowledge that relationship requires time to develop. With the children spending most of their time with the maid, would they drift apart from their busy parents whom they should rightfully be closest with?

The parents risk their child being spoilt - especially with the child taken care by a paid maid who is most likely compromising to the wants of the child as he grows up.

Personally, I wouldn't want to leave my children to the care of a maid. First, I would not want to risk finding the wrong maid; the newspaper has been constantly reporting cases of maid abusing children while their parents are away. What if that happens to my child? I do not want to imagine.

I also personally feel that it is more important to teach my child the right moral values and precious life experience than focus so much on work.

I also hope my wife would be capable and willing to stay at home with my children instead of working, to guide them in their learning journey, and like my mother did, help me prepare for exams, and take care of me when I am sick.

When parents personally take care of their children, it is probably easier to control him, train him to be more independent, and teach him how to prioritize his wants and needs.

These, no doubt, a maid cannot achieve.

No comments: