Friday, June 5, 2009

Name calling

Recently, in my class as well as school, there is big hoo ha about name calling.



Is name calling right? Why or why not? Different people will have different takes on this. Some feels that it is perfectly alright, while some thinks that it is a form of bullying.



Personally, I feel that name calling is good unless to a certain extent where it offends the other party. You may be surprised, but friends can actually be created through name calling. My friendship with many of classmates were actually started by me calling them, "Hi punk."



If one name calls in a friendly or funny manner, the other party will see it as a friendly gesture. A 'just for fun' thing. However, if one says in a serious and offensive tone, the other party will see it as offensive and rude.



This is what recently cropped up in my class. It was once a very peaceful class with friendly classmates but after this name calling, some enemies were created.



It was this term, 'extra'. Everyone started calling each other, "eh, don't be extra lah!" or "wah lau, that guy si bei extra!" *(sorry for the singlish)



I think this name calling thing is very 'extra'. I mean, what can you gain out of it? Ok, maybe something. Congratulations, you earned a lot. You earned a lot of enemies.

I seriously think this namecalling is very silly and this matter is getting out of hand. Many hate each other now all thanks to one term - "extra".

Maybe we should stop this crap and seriously think about something meaningful that can earn friends. Maybe something sincere. Maybe something kind.

My call to classmates out there: Use your talent (since you can go into this school) to do something meaningful.

No comments: