Thursday, June 25, 2009

What is Happiness? (2)

What is happiness? My other post, (What is Happiness (1)?) answered this question by arguing that happiness is setting a goal for ourselves and pursuing that goal no matter the setbacks.

However after this almost-finished holiday, I have learnt much more about happiness and found out that happiness is not pursuing our own personal goal, but pursuing God's will for us.

As a christian, I feel very guilty that most of the time, I have been pursuing my own goal and fufilling my selfish needs. In the Bible, this is regarded as being dependent on the flesh, not on God.

However, after a recent church camp, I was touched to start pursuing God's will for me.

At the church camp, there were many brothers and sisters in Christ, only two years older than me, who were serving full-time in the Teens Ministry. When I asked them how many years they have received Christ as their saviour, I was shocked to hear that most only became a christian last year. I, as a believer for ten whole years, have not really pursued God's will for me and done something for God. So what am I to compare with a believer of only a year?

I shared my thoughts with a very passionate brother in Christ. I was shocked when I learnt that he led an entire group of teens 16 to 18 years old when he was barely twelve years old!

God can use people, no matter their age! God does not look at the surface, but the heart.

These were the words he told me with a spirit that really touched me! I am already thirteen, what I am waiting for?

I am now already playing the piano regularly for the Chinese Service in my church, but is my heart really there for God? I do not dare to answer this question. What am I worth as a tiny creation of his, to receive his magnanimous love? Whatever I can do for him, I have decided, though not a worthy sacrifice, I am going to give my heart and life to him.

To God be the glory!

No comments: