Friday, December 11, 2009

Church Camp 7-11 Dec Melaka

Hi all, I just went to Melaka, Malaysia for our church annual camp. I have learnt many things from the camp which I feel is definitely worth sharing.

It was a 5 day 4 night camp. It is our first church camp to have its own children worship ministry. It was my privilege to be selected to be part of the organizing team of the children worship, and we are all extremely excited about making the sessions captivating for the children. I shared a room with the team leader - Jeremy.

The first day was devoted to worship and getting used to the new environment. We started a detailed planning of what the sessions would be like for the next few days the moment we got there. It was important because there were two sessions of worship everyday.

The first session was relatively simple - it was a icebreaker session for the kids to open up and have fun. Our team leader, Jeremy, lead the worship and games first so we can get a good idea of what is expected of the next few days.

The dinner buffet provided by the hotel was fantastic - there were a huge variety of Malaysian, specifically Melaka food served, and they were to my delight, mostly spicy food.

The next day, we initiated the daily morning routine of praying to our God for help and dependence on him. He really blessed the morning sessions by working in the hearts of the children. It was the first time I saw the two troublemaker twins - Jeremy and Louis sing so happily and enthusiastically to God. We truly felt his presence with us.

We went to a peranakan heritage tour in Melaka old town in the afternoon. Peranakans are basically the offsprings of Chinese immigrants and Malaysian women. We went on a in-depth tour around a rich Peranakan house, and learnt a lot from the tour guide who explained in great detail the lifestyle and arrangements of this special group of people. Their culture is a unique and pleasant mix of Chinese and Malay.

The subsequent afternoon was again a pleasure to my friends and I. We went to Melaka's Go Kart track for 4 games of racing. It was honestly the first time I experience such speed in the driver's seat, and unexpectedly, in the second last round, I beat the best rumored racer Uncle James and finished first. Apparently, he went so fast that his car crashed into the tyres flanking the track.

The rest of the worship sessions were simply impromptu and spontaneous planning. We really did not prepare much before the camp, most of the work was actually done half an hour before each session, but to our pleasant surprise, the sessions turned out to be quite successful.

We had team leaders stepping up to lead their group. The usual quiet children were excited and turned out to be the loudest when it came to team cheers. Everyone had fun, and looked forward to the next session. Noah, a 5 year old kid, would never fail to ask me, "Jonah, is there children worship later on? I like it, I want to go."

Before the camp, I thought organizing an event was about holding numerous meetings, doing very detailed planning, and getting everything prepared. But after this camp, I began to relax and tell myself to rest everything in the hands of God. As long as the team is motivated and united to work towards one goal, everything is possible.

I am still learning to be a better leader and to look at the bigger picture always and I will reflect and seek improvement the next I am given the opportunity and privilege to organize an event. Hope to be a better person than I am a second ago.

No comments: