Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A stressful observation.

I was queing up for food at about 1.30 plus and this Sec 4 guy caught my attention. I secretly took a picture of him.



Check this out.


If you zoom in now and take a closer look, you wil discover that almost 1/3 of his hair is grey.

There are only two reason to a Sec 4 having 1/3 of his hair grey.

  • It is fashion (which I don't think looks fashionable at all)
  • He is too stressed with school life due to heavy amount of homework and other commitments.

I heard him talk to his friend and stressfully discovered that he was from the CSE programme. He was also the chairman of his EP3. No wonder he is so stressed!

What a stressful discovery!

I suddenly thought about myself - I am that stressed too? Do I have a hard time juggling work and other commitments like councillor duties?

Everyday, when the reccess bell goes off, I will rush down to the street soccer court, not caring about other @#GR$, just to get a period of relief from a day's stress.

But when I pondered over the issue of stress again, I found out that I have actually done quite well.

When I asked my classmates what time they sleep everyday, most of them would answer, "11 plus lah, have to chieong homework". However, I sleep at 9 plus everyday.

In order to manage my time and stress properly, I quitted Malay in the 1st term. Now, I have much more time to do my homework and revision. I also gave up other commitments in order to reprioritize my life.

Some may think it is passive resignation and fatalism, but I think being selective is the key to being effective.

3 comments:

Susan said...

well it could be genetic, isn't it? Anyway the hair is no indication of how successful or happy he is. For all you know, he is actually not stressed and is happy with the many opportunities he has - afterall he is in CSE and is the chairman - which says that he is a capable leader whom everyone trusts?

Zhang Haowei Elvis said...

What's fatalism?

And based on you perception of high EQ, are you sure you have high EQ?

And it is quite good that you can sleep at 9 plus. You know what? I admire you.

Back to EQ. I think that EQ does not necessarily apply only to the potential "sayer" of the insult, but also the potentially insulted. If he can take it in his stride, and not bother about it, knowing well enough that it is not true, then I respect him.

Just to say, newspapers are dirty. If you study the background well enough, you will be disgusted by the appalling things that go on. And I'm sorry to say, everyone of us, including you and me, have been so brainwashed, that we accept the government people's humongous salaries being printed out onto the newspaper.

Nice blog.

Zhang Haowei Elvis said...

I know it is not nice to say, but are like ........... or something? I still remember you using a photo you took of yourself at the food centre as your handphone background. WT?! Taking a picture of yourself at the food centre? Tourist attraction? A better location would be my home!!!!!