Sunday, May 10, 2009

Think before you speak.

I'm holding on your rope
Got me ten feet off the ground
And I'm hearing what you say
But I just can't make a sound
You tell me that you need me
Then you go and cut me down, but wait
You tell me that you're sorry
Didn't think I'd turn around and say
That it's too late to apologize, it's too late
I said it's too late to apologize, it's too late

- Apologise by One Republic

My classmates recommended this song to me. Quite a dull tune but I noticed its lyrics bears a resemblance to the kind of society we are having now.

It really reflects how the society is a cruel one. There is no second chances in life.

When you hurt someone physically, the scar will heal over some time. However, if you hurt someone emotionally, the scar will be eternal.

We really have to think before we speak.

Ok, I have to admit I am not good at that.

In Primary School, I once insulted my classmate, saying that he is fat. He has never spoken a single word to me after that incident.

From then on, I set a small resolution for myself, that is never to offend anyone. That is also my sincere call for all bloggers out there.

Maybe we apologise to the person after hurting him and the problem seem to be resolved. However, the damage has already been done. Its just too late to apologise.

We may have high IQ but we must also possess high EQ in order to succeed as a person.

EQ refers to the way you speak and communicate with others. If someone really can't tolerate his friend's slow way of doing things, a person with low EQ will say, "I really can't stand his slow way of doing things. What a slow coach!" Someone with high EQ will say, "I really can't stand his slow way of doing things. Maybe I'm a very impatient person."

The way we shape our language, especially the choice of words, will sometimes earn you friend, but sometimes an enemy.

It really makes a difference. Thinking before you speak and speaking kindly will make others think of you as a friendly, kind and mature person. On the other hand, of you fail to think before you speak, people will think of you as a very hostile and childish person, and they will naturally lose their respect for you.

My call to all: The next time you talk to your classmates, think before you speak. It really makes a whole lot of difference.

No comments: